The Policy Coordination unit’s main responsibility is to facilitate external relations and cooperation in regard to the rule of law, sustainable development, crime prevention and criminal justice. The unit provides support for TIJ’s representation and activities in domestic, regional and international meetings and seminars. It also seeks to provide relevant policy inputs and substantive suggestions regarding wider criminal justice policy and other emerging issues of national and international interests. It strives to reach out and consult with stakeholders across all sectors including policymakers, practitioners, researchers, professionals and members of the civil society and international organizations both in Thailand and internationally with the aim to promote better understanding and effective implementation of the related international standards and norms on crime prevention and criminal justice, the rule of law, and sustainable development.
Recent and upcoming projects under the Policy Coordination Programme include:
- Strengthening the TIJ’s work and contributions on crime prevention and criminal justice as one of the Institutes of the UN Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Programme Network (PNI) at domestic, regional, and international level;
- Creating greater awareness and correct understanding of the related international standards and norms in crime prevention and criminal justice and promoting their successful implementation by working with the national central authorities and other domestic agencies across all sectors in monitoring, implementing and reporting of progress;
- Supporting qualitative and quantitative research on crime prevention and criminal justice to promote better-informed and evidence-based decisions.
To this end, Policy Coordination team supports substantive preparations for international representation and other missions during the United Nations Congress on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice, Sessions of the Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ) and PNI Coordination Meeting, as well as other relevant international or regional meetings and seminars. It is to engage more closely with domestic partners to exchange dialogues and experiences on crime prevention and criminal justice and the related issues of interest.
- PNI Institutes
- Other related international and regional organizations
- Research institutes, national justice agencies, Thai government agencies
- Non-governmental organizations